Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Interview with former IBF Super Featherweight Champion, Barry Michael


Former IBF Super Featherweight and now Main Event commentator, Barry Michael



Adam Santarossa caught up with former IBF Super Featherweight World Champion and Main Event Boxing commentator, Barry Michael, to get his thoughts on tomorrow nights, Danny Green-Antonio Tarver fight and also to speak about his charge, New Zealand cruiserweight, Shane Cameron.

Barry we are all here ahead of the big fight tomorrow night, how do you see this one going?
I’ve been waiting to see what sort of shape, Antonio Tarver turned up in and to see him on the scales and he looked in excellent condition. I think it is a “toss up” to be honest, if Antonio Tarver can perform like he has in the past Danny is going to have a very tough night at the office.
I think the longer it goes, I mean if it goes the distance, I think Danny will probably get home on points. But Tarver is a big puncher, he is a dangerous man, and I think this is one of Danny’s most dangerous fights to be honest.
There is a lot of talk going around regarding Tarver’s ability to go twelve rounds. He has had only two fights since 2008. As a former fighter yourself, how hard is it to get back in the ring following a period on inactivity?
Well it is a comeback, and that is probably one of the biggest things against him (Tarver), the longer the fight goes the harder it will undoubtedly be for him, but it also depends on how he has prepared. If he has had gruelling gym work and the gruelling sparring sessions, to replicate as close as he can to what a real fight is, he might be ok, I have seen fighters do it. The great Sugar Ray Leonard did it after two years out, Ali did it, so look, it can be done, look at Bernard Hopkins, who is 46.
Tarver doesn’t look like an old man; he looks fresh as a daisy.
Danny Green is a great fighter, there is no worries about that but Antonio Tarver has been one of the greatest in the light-heavyweight division, now fighting  at Cruiserweight, really their both light heavies, again, I think it’s going to be a tossup, one of Danny’s hardest fights.
It is Tarver’s first time fighting overseas, how much affect do you think that will have on the fight?
I don’t think it will affect a great deal, Tarver is an experienced campaigner, I don’t think he is going to be overawed fighting in front of a pro Australian crowd. He would have fought all around the world as an amateur, he had hundreds of amateur fights, and I actually saw him first hand in 1996 in Atlanta, were he won bronze and was captain of the American team. I don’t think it will bother him one bit.
Now prediction wise, are you sitting on the fence, given you see it being such a close fight?
Yes, I am going to sit on the fence with this one. I reckon if it goes the distance, I reckon Danny on points. I will be surprised if Danny can stop him, because if he (Tarver) has never been off his feet, and Danny, well I’ve seen Danny off his feet, but I’ve never seen him stopped, but if there was a knockout I think Tarver might have the power to do it. But I’m sitting on the fence.
Now turning to a fighter you’re involved with, Shane Cameron.  He has been trying to get Danny Green in the ring for a while now, but tomorrow night he faces, Dominic Vea for the Commonwealth Cruiserweight title, how has his preparation been?
Shane is in the best shape he has been in years. He has come down from 107.7kg, to 90.7, he has become accustomed to the weight over the past year, and he finally has a right hand. People don’t realise he hasn’t been fighting with a right hand for about five years; he has had it full of bolts. Finally now it is bolt free and he can punch with it, and I think Dominic Vea is in for a big shock tomorrow night.
Danny Green as I said before has been in your plans, is that still an option after this fight?
Definitely. We pray Danny Green wins, because Plan B is we win and Danny wins, we get in on for the title, probably about November in New Zealand, we hope. Which will be fantastic and a Trans-Tasman war.
Barry Michael, thanks for your time and have a great call tomorrow night.
Thank you, all the best.

New Zealand's Shane Cameron, fights on the undercard tommorow night and has Danny Green in his sights.


No comments:

Post a Comment